Research Ethics Bibliography
Post Date: 12/08/2011
The following sources do not necessarily reflect the Center's position or values. These sources, however, are excellent resources for familiarizing oneself with the all sides of the issue.
Pediatric Research Ethics
- Kodish, Eric. Ethics and Research with Children: A Case-Based Approach. New York: Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Ross, Lainie Friedman. Children in Medical Research. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Wendler, David S. The Ethics of Pediatric Research. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.
Research with Human Subjects
- Goodman, Jordan, et al., eds. Useful Bodies: Humans in the Service of Medical Sicence in the Twentieth Century. Baltimore: The John Hopkins Univ Press, 2008.
- King, Nancy M.P. and Jane Stein, Beyond Regulations: Ethics in Human Subjects Research. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 1999.
- Mazur, Dennis J. Evaluating the Science and Ethics of Research on Humans: A Guide for IRB Members. Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 2007.
- President's Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues. ""Ethically Impossible": STD Research in Guatemala from 1946 to 1948. Washington, DC, 2011. (Available at http://bioethics.gov/cms/sites/default/files/Ethically-Impossible_PCSBI.pdf
- United States Department of Health & Human Services. Office for Human Research Protections. The Belmont Report: Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjection of Research. The National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects of Biomedical and Behavioral Research. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1979. (Available at http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/guidance/belmont.htm accessed May 20, 2010).
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. Office of Human Subject Protections. “Protection of Human Subjects.” Code of Federal Regulations Title 45, Part 46, 2009. (Available at http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/guidance/45cfr46.htmaccessed May 20, 2010).
- United States National Institutes of Health. Office of Human Subjects Research. “Nuremberg Code.” http://ohsr.od.nih.gov/guidelines/nuremberg.html (accessed May 20, 2010).
- World Medical Association. Declaration of Helsinki: Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects. http://www.wma.net/en/30publications/10policies/b3/index.html (accessed May 20, 2010).
Research Ethics (General)
- Beecher, Henry. “Ethics and Clinical Research.” New England Journal of Medicine 274 (1966): 1354-1360.
- Elliott, Deni and Judy E. Stern, eds. Research Ethics: A Reader. Hanover, NH: University Press of New England, 1997.
- Emanuel, Ezekiel J., Robert A. Crouch, John D. Arras, Jonathan D. Moreno, and Christine Grady, eds. Ethical and Regulatory Aspects of Clinical Research: Readings and Commentary. Baltimore, MA: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2003.
- Emanuel, Ezekiel J., Christine Grady, Robert A. Crouch, Reidar K. Lie, Franklin G. Miller, and David Wendler. The Oxford Textbook of Clinical Research Ethics. New York: Oxford University Press, 2008
- Fisher, Jill A. Medical Research for Hire: The Political Economy of Pharmaceutical Clinical Trials. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2009.
- Iltis, Ana Smith, ed. Research Ethics. New York: Routledge, 2008.
- Lavery, James V., Christine Grady, Elizabeth R. Wahl, and Ezekiel J. Emanuel, eds. Ethical Issues in International Biomedical Research: A Case Book. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Loue, Sana, and Earl C. Pike. Case Studies in Ethics and HIV Research. New York: Springer, 2007.
- Macklin, Ruth. Double Standards in Medical Research in Developing Countries. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Menikoff, Jerry. What the Doctor Didn’t Say: The Hidden Truth About Medical Research. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006
- Murphy, Timothy F. Case Studies in Biomedical Research Ethics. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2004.
- Plomer, Aurora. The Law and Ethics of Medical Research: International Bioethics and Human Rights. New York: Routledge-Cavendish, 2005.
- Sales, Bruce Dennis and Susan Folkman, eds. Ethics in Research with Human Participants. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2000.
- Shamoo, Adil E. and David B. Resnik. Responsible Conduct of Research. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Smith, Trevor. Ethics in Medical Research: A Handbook of Good Practice. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1999.
Updated December 2011