Public Health Bibliography
Post Date: 02/01/2013
The following sources do not necessarily reflect the Center's position or values. These sources, however, are excellent resources for familiarizing oneself with the all sides of the issue.
- Anand, Sudhir, Fabienne Peter, and Amartya Sen, eds. Public Health, Ethics, and Equity. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Bayer, Ronald, Lawrence O. Gostin, Bruce Jennings, and Bonnie Steinbock, eds. Public Health Ethics: Theory, Policy, and Practice. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Beauchamp, Dan E. and Bonnie Steinbock, eds. New Ethics for the Public’s Health. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Bradley, Peter and Amanda Burls, eds. Ethics in Public and Community Health. New York: Routledge, 2000.
- Coggon, John. What Makes Health Public? A Critical Evaluation of Moral, Legal, and Political Claims in Public Health (Cambridge Bioethics and Law). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Coughlin, Steven S., Colin L. Soskolne and Kenneth W. Goodman. Case Studies in Public Health Ethics. Washington, DC: American Public Health Association, 1998.
- Dawson, Angus and Marcel Verweij, eds. Ethics, Prevention, and Public Health. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Detels, Roger, Robert Beaglehole, Mary Ann Lansang, and Martin Gulliford, eds. Oxford Textbook of Public Health. 5th ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Gostin, Lawrence O. and Zita Lazzarini. Human Rights and Public Health in the AIDS Pandemic. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Hann, Allison and Stephen Peckham, eds. Public Health Ethics and Practice. Portland, OR: The Policy Press, 2010.
- Holland, Stephen. Public Health Ethics. Malden, MA: Polity Press, 2007.
- Hofrichter, Richard and Rajiv Bhatia. Tackling Health Inequities Through Public Health Practice: Theory to Action. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Wronka, Joseph M. Human Rights and Social Justice: Social Action and Service for the Helping and Health Professions. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2008.
- Boylan, Michael, ed. Public Health Policy and Ethics. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004.
- Dawson, Angus. Public Health Ethics: Key Concepts and Issues in Policy and Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Gostin, Lawrence, O. ed. Public Health Law and Ethics: A Reader. Berkley, CA: University ofCalifornia Press, 2002.
- Kremer, Michael and Rachel Glennerster. Strong Medicine: Creating Incentives for Pharmaceutical Research on Neglected Diseases. Princeton, NY: Princeton University Press, 2004.
- Powers, Madison and Ruth Faden. Social Justice: The Moral Foundations of Public Health and Health Policy. New York: Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Annas, George J. Worst Case Bioethics: Death, Disaster, and Public Health. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Moreno, Jonathan D. In the Wake of Terror: Medicine and the Morality in a Time of Crisis. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2003.
- Giles-Vernick, Tamara and Susan Craddock, eds. Influenza and Public Health. London: Earthscan Publications, 2010.
- Muraskin, William A. The Politics of International Health: The Children’s Vaccine Initiative and the Struggle to Develop Vaccines for the Third World. Albany, NY: State University of New York, 1998.
- Walloo, Keith, Julie Livingston, Steven Epstein, and Rovet Aronowitz, eds. Three Shots at Prevention: The HPV Vaccine and the Politics of Medicine’s Simple Solutions. Baltimore, MA: John Hopkins University Press, 2010.
Updated February 2013