Bioethics Cross-Cultural Bibliography
- Barry, Vincent. Bioethics in a Cultural Context: Philosophy, Religion, History, Politics. Boston: Wadsworth, 2012.
- Bertameu, Maria Julia and Arleen L.F. Salles, eds. Bioethics: Latin American Perspectives. New York: Rodopi, 2002.
- Bigby, JudyAnn. Cross Cultural Medicine. Philadelphia: American College of Physicians, 2001.
- Dula, Annette, and Sara Goering. "It Just Ain't Fair": The Ethics of Health Care for African Americans. Westport, CT: Praeger, 1994.
- Elliott, Carl. A Philosophical Disease: Bioethics, Culture and Identity. New York: Routledge, 1998.
- Fadiman, Anne. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: a Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1998.
- Flack, Harley, and Edmund Pellegrino, eds. African-American Perspectives on Biomedical Ethics. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 1992.
- Hoshino, Kazumasa, ed. Japanese and Western Bioethics: Studies in Moral Diversity. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer Netherlands, 2009.
- Newman, Lucile F., ed. Women's Medicine: A Cross-Cultural Study of Indigenous Fertility Regulation. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 1995.
- Po-wah, Julia Tao Lai. Cross-Cultural Perspectives on the (Im)Possibility of Global Bioethics. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer Netherlands, 2009.
- Prograis, Lawrence J., Jr. and Edmund D Pellegrino, eds. African American Bioethics: Culture, Race, and Identity. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 2007.
- Reverby, Susan M. Examining Tuskegee: The Infamous Syphilis Study and Its Legacy. Chapel Hill, NC: The University of North Carolina Press, 2009.
- Rehmann-Sutter, Christoph, Maruch Düwell, and Dietmar Mieth, eds. Bioethics in Cultural Contexts: Reflections on Methods and Finitude. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer Netherlands, 2009.
- Roetz, Heiner, ed. Cross-Cultural Issues in Bioethics: The Example of Human Cloning. New York: Rodopi, 2006.
- Tremayne, Soraya, ed. Managing Reproductive Life: Cross-Cultural Themes in Sexuality and Fertility. New York: Berghahn Books, 2001.
- Wertz, Dorothy C., and John C. Fletcher. Ethics and Human Genetics: A Cross-Cultural Perspective. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1989.
End of Life
- Blank, Robert H. and Janna C. Merrick. End-of-Life Decision Making: A Cross-National Study. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2005.
- Braun, Kathryn L., James H. Pietsch, and Patricia L. Blanchette, eds. Cultural Issues in End-of-Life Decision Making. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1999.
- Cohen-Almagor, Raphael. The Right to Die with Dignity: An Argument in Ethics, Medicine, and Law. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2001.
- Crippen, David, Jack K. Kilcullen and David F. Kelly, eds. Three Patients: International Perspectives on Intensive Care at the End of Life. Boston: Kluwer Academic, 2002.
- De Leo, Diego. Suicide and Euthanasia in Older Adults: A Transcultural Journey. Seattle: Hogrefe & Huber, 2001.
- Irish, Donald P., Kathleen F. Lundquist and Vivian J. Nelsen, eds. Ethnic Variations in Dying, Death and Grief: Diversity in Universality. Washington, DC: Taylor & Francis, 1993.
- Parkes, Colin Murray, Pittu Laungani, and Bill Young, eds. Death and Bereavement Across Cultures. New York: Routledge, 1997.
- Parry, Joan K. A Cross-Cultural Look at Death, Dying, and Religion. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, 2003.
- Scherer, Jennifer M., and Rita James Simon. Euthanasia and the Right to Die: A Comparative View. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 1999.
Healthcare and Medical Ethics
- Baxter, Carol, ed. Managing Diversity and Inequality in Health Care. London: Baillière Tindall, 2001.
- Coward, Harold, and Pinit Ratanakul, eds. A Cross-Cultural Dialogue on Health Care Ethics. Waterloo, Ontario, Canada: Wilfred Laurier University Press, 1999.
- Evans, Timothy. Challenging Inequities in Health: From Ethics to Action. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Kar, Snehendu B., Rina Alcalay, and Shana Alex. Health Communication: A Multicultural Perspective. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2000.
- Leininger, Madeleine, and Marilyn McFarland. Transcultural Nursing: Concepts, Theories, Research and Practice. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2002.
- Pellegrino, Edmund, Patricia Mazarella, and Pietro Corsi, eds. Transcultural Dimensions in Medical Ethics. University Publishing Group, 1993.
- Purnell, Larry D. Guide to Culturally Competent Health Care. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis, 2008.
- Purnell, Larry D. and Betty J. Paulanka. Transcultural Health Care: A Culturally Competent Approach. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis, 2008.
- Ray, Marilyn A. Transcultural Caring Dynamics in Nursing and Health Care. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis, 2008.
- Tseng, Wen-Shing and Jon Streltzer. Cultural Competence in Health Care: A Guide for Professionals. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer Netherlands, 2009.
- Veatch, Robert M. and Harley E. Flack. Case Studies in Allied Health Ethics. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1996.
- Veatch, Robert M., ed. Cross Cultural Perspectives in Medical Ethics. 2nd ed. Boston: Jones and Bartlett, 2000.
Out of Print
- Baxter, Carol. Race Equality in Health Care and Education. London: Baillière Tindall, 1997.
- Berger, Arthur. Perspectives on Death and Dying: Cross-Cultural and Multi-Disciplinary Views. Philadelphia: Charles Press, 1989.
- Calsada, Leonor, and Mary Ann Smith. Transcultural Aspects of Perinatal Health Care: A Resource Guide. Tampa: National Perinatal Association, 2001.
- Carter, James H. Death and Dying Among African-Americans: Cultural Characteristics and Coping Tidbits. New York: Vantage Press, 2001.
- Clark, M. Margaret. Cross-Cultural Medicine: A Decade Later. San Francisco: California Medical Association, 1992.
- Culturally Competent Healthcare: Do We Understand It? How Do We Do It? Proceedings of the Fourth National Conference of the Transcultural Nursing and Healthcare Association in partnership with the Research Centre for Transcultural Studies in Health, Middlesex University and the Foundation of Nursing Studies, July 2002. Birmingham, UK: University of Central England, 2002.
- Henderson, George, and Martha Primeaux. Transcultural Health Care. Menlo Park, CA: Addison-Wesley, 1981.
- Morse, Janice M. Issues in Cross-Cultural Nursing. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1988.
- Randall-David, Elizabeth, Strategies for Working with Culturally Diverse Communities and Clients. Washington, D.C.: Association for the Care of Children's Health, 1989.
- Respecting Cultural Diversity in Health Care: The Way Forward for the 21st Century: Proceedings of the Third National Conference of the Transcultural Nursing & Healthcare Association 2000, University of Central England in Birmingham. Birmingham, UK: University of Central England, 2000.
- Secundy, Marian Gray, and Lois Lacivita Nixon, eds. Trials, Tribulations, and Celebrations: African-American Perspectives on Health, Illness, Aging, and Loss. Yarmouth, ME: Intercultural Press, 1992.
- Solomon, Namia R. Z., and Jean Langford. Death and Dying in Ethnic America: A Research Study. Seattle: CCHCP, 2000.
Updated January 2012